Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Greek Giardiniera Dip

Here it is, Super Bowl Sunday, and I have no idea what to take to any Super Bowl parties. I want to be team-neutral, so my choices can't include anything specific to New England or New York/New Jersey (Trust me, if the Ravens were playing today, we'd be having Crab Wings!). Plus, as much as possible, I want to use what I have on hand. What to do, what to do...?

I took a quick inventory of my pantry and found 2 boxes of unopened Triscuits, so I think some sort of dip is in order. I see cans of tuna and clams in there, but I don't really want to take either of those. Tuna is just too odd, I think, and clams are too New-England-y.

Then I check the fridge. There's some Greek yoghurt in there, so that'll do. OH! There's my favorite new thing, right there, staring at me, ready to be put in this dip!

It's no secret that I watch the Food Network. Last season's winner of The Next Food Network Star was Jeff Mauro, the Sandwich King. On one of his shows, he made a "Hot Giardiniera" that I made that is just to DIE for. I don't think I'd ever even had Giardiniera, but I made his version, and I gotta tell ya, I am totally addicted to it. It's a yummy blend of cauliflower, carrots, red bell peppers, a little serano, and onion, marinaded in vegetable oil. Plus, he's from Chicago, so that's about as team-neutral as I can get today.

So...here's my creation:
Super Greek Giardiniera Dip!

Combine almost equal parts of Greek Yoghurt and Giardiniera, with a little less yoghurt than giardiniera. I used abour a cup of giardiniera and about 3/4 cup of yoghurt. (Start with about half a cup of yoghurt and add til you get the blend you want.) You can make your own giardiniera, or use store-bought. Chop up a green onion and toss it in. Calamata olives would probably be good in there too, so I chopped up about 10 - 12 and added them. Hmm...maybe even some sundried tomatoes...yeah, about 1 - 2 T of chopped sundried tomatoes. Now for some feta cheese, just diced up and tossed in. And then finish it off with some green onion and fresh flat leaf parsley, marjoram, oregano and rosemary.. Combine. Let it sit and blend for a few hours. Serve with whole grain crackers.

Enjoy!
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment