Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Snack mix

Wednesday is a very LOOOONG day for Michael and me. In addition to our busy days, we have a 3-hour committment in the evenings, from 6 - 9 pm. Last week I was absolutely STARVING by the time we got home. So...this week, I vow, will be different! I wanted to come up with something I could throw in the car on the way to work in the morning and would still be edible (and tasty!) by the time I left the office at night.

This is what I came up with...

Monday night (since I won't have time to do it Tuesday night either, due to another committment) I made a batch of snack mix that I put together out of stuff we had in the pantry, most of which was nearing the end of its shelf-life.

Mini shredded wheat cereal - 2 cups
Cinnamon cereal - 2 cups
The remnants of a can of old fashioned oatmeal - probably about half a cup
The remnants of a can of cashew bits and pieces - probably about 1/4 of a cup
About half a can of toasted almonds - probably about 1/3 of a cup
Homemade peanut butter - About 4 Tbsp
Vegetable oil - About 4 Tbsp
Orange blossom honey  - About 4 Tbsp
A bag of dried cherries
Kosher salt

After heating the oven to 250, I mixed the peanut butter, oil and honey in the bottom of a glass baking dish and put it in the oven until melted. Meanwhile, I put the "dry ingredients" into a big popcorn bowl and mixed them all together by hand. Then I took the melted mix out of the oven and added the dry mix to it and mixed it all up with some tongs that I had oiled. Put it back in the oven for about an hour, mixing every 15 mins.

Let it cool and this was the result!
YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment